Monday, June 23, 2014

Reflecting

I have to laugh when I think about starting a blog.  Long, long ago I had a livejournal.  I used to look at it every once in a while, just to get a good laugh.  But there was no point to it.  Other than to talk about what I did, while in high school and college and a little bit after I graduated.  However, I'd like to start a blog with a point.

When I have a student retake a test because they failed it, I have them reflect on why they did not pass.  I know that I am horrible with reflecting, or even remembering year to year if something worked or did not work.  I want to use this to post ideas, and then reflect later.  Or just get to the posting about how well it worked or if it bombed.  I know I won't get better unless I learn from my successes or failures.

I am starting at a new school, so I thought this would be a good time.  I was at a charter school for the past two years where the students just sat at computers in a room with me and 2-3 other teachers.  I'm glad that chapter is over, and I get to start this new one.

I really think I want to try an interactive notebook and implement edmodo.  I've actually had a hard time sleeping just running through how I want things to run.  I like using collaborative learning and groups, but I know I need work on that.  I was dreaming last night about roles each student in the group would have.  Not like recorder and time keeper, but more like jobs.  Someone who gets paper from me or when we come in, someone who makes sure the area is clean before we go.   Thankfully, I still have time to figure this all out.  Well, until August 8th at least.

Tomorrow I get my fingerprinting and I get to find out what I'm actually teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment